2022 Chest Tube Education and Competency
This course is designed to provide education on chest tubes, including indications for chest tube insertion and the maintenance and troubleshooting of chest tubes.
Videos are included on chest tube insertion and maintenance.
Course provides education, training and competency based guidelines regarding chest tubes.
This course does not assure competency in chest tube insertion; insertion requires a skilled physician or medical personnel licensed to perform procedure.
Upon course completion this course provides the following:
- Certification / certificate of course completion / core competency evaluation
- 2.0 continuing education contact hours
- 30 Questions
- 85% score required for successful course completion
Goals and Objectives
- Evaluate core competency regarding chest tube insertion, placement and maintenance
- Promote safety for patients who have chest tubes in place
Topics and Content
- Indication for chest tube
- tension pneumothorax
- chest tubes sizes
- drainage and collection systems
- triangle of safety landmarks for chest tube insertion
- assessment of respiratory distress
- auto transfusers
- pain management and sedation
- pleural effusions
- chest tube placement confirmation
- ventilator and positive pressure ventilation
- removal of chest tube
- assessment and response to changes in condition in patients with chest tubes
Course Completion includes the following:
Certificate of Course Completion (available online for download immediately after successful course completion)
To register, click on the link below.